Kontact on 4.3.85

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 28 19:22:59 UTC 2009

On Monday 28 December 2009 17:26:43 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> Just a wild guess, since Kontakt incorporates the addressbook, kmail,
>  korganizer et al.
>
> Try starting kaddressbook alone and select the addressbook to use. By
>  default, this appears to be an akonadi resource, which caused kaddressbook
>  to crash (likely because I had not configured it). Since I don't use
>  akonadi and likely won't until a year or two from now, and since I don't
>  have any addresses in this unused akonadi resource, there is no point in
>  having an akonadi address resource, so I deleted it.
>
> Then, since all my addresses are in a traditional vcf file, I asked
>  kaddressbook to open a different addressbook, namely the real vcf
>  addressbook.
>
> Once done, kaddressbook now started up without crashing. Since kmail and
>  kontakt make use of the addressbook in kaddressbook, this could (?) be a
>  problem.

Hi, Petrus.  I don't think it's the same problem.  However, I resolved to take
a look.At this point I realised that I could no longer run any of the
applications stand-alone.  I hunted for lock files, found an odd one and
removed it.  No difference.  Totally disabled selinux - no difference.
Feeling convinced that the problem was with kmail itself I decided to go with
my instincts and change the target for the akonadi resource for local mail.
Akonadi started up as though there had never been a problem. A few seconds
later I got a crash report from kontact.  I asked it to re-start, and here it
is.  So far, at least, everything is working.  I guess akonadi had got its
knickers in a twist when it couldn't find that Local folder it was expecting.

If all remains well tomorrow I'll file a bug report.