CDs in Amarok

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Feb 17 05:35:39 UTC 2009

Martin Kho wrote:
> "Analog" playback does not existing on all CD/DVD devices. The newer SATA
> CD/DVD devises don't have a "analog" output, most, maybe all IDE devices
> do have. On SATA devices signals are going through the cpu and are all
> digital. My device is of this type. With the default configuration, KsCD -
> in KDE 4.1.4 - locked up my device (hard resets were necessary, to get it
> alive). To solve the problem, I had to enable "use digital playback". In
> KDE 4.2 "digital playback" seems to be the default. It worked out off the
> box. Btw. yes, the skin is really awful.

Whatever the default is, it may not be the right choice, so this really
needs to be an option, which was kinda my point.

But this is not even the worst point of suckage in the new KsCD, the skin
system is horrible and the use of the deprecated libtunepimp stack instead
of either current MusicBrainz or FreeDB (Why did they switch away from
that? It's the best option as it also allows submitting your own data!) or
both (but in that case too they need to use the *current* MusicBrainz
stack!) will make it a problem for long-term maintainability. (Basically,
the old libs are in Rawhide just so KsCD keeps building.)

        Kevin Kofler