Updates broken on RHEL5

Jeffrey D Anderson JDAnderson at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 12 21:34:40 UTC 2009

For a month or two updates on systems with kde-redhat (3.5.10-2) on RHEL5 have
been broken due to new versions of gnokii and libdvdnav in EPEL.

Here's what I get:

%>  yum update
Error: Missing Dependency: libgnokii.so.3 is needed by package kdepim
Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3 is needed by package k3b

Apparently k3b and kdepim rely on older versions of libgnokii and libdvdread
than are provided by the current EPEL, so updates fail unless I disable EPEL,
or explicitly disable gnokii and libdvdread from the updates.  I can do that,
but I wonder if there is a cleaner way?  It would be ok with me to just
remove gnokii, but it is a prerequisite for kdepim.

Jeffrey Anderson    			| jdanderson at lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory	|
Office: 50A-5104E			| Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208			| Fax: 510 486-6808