Updates broken on RHEL5

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 12 23:33:48 UTC 2009

Jeffrey D Anderson wrote:
> For a month or two updates on systems with kde-redhat (3.5.10-2) on RHEL5 have
> been broken due to new versions of gnokii and libdvdnav in EPEL.
>
> Here's what I get:
>
> %>  yum update
> Error: Missing Dependency: libgnokii.so.3 is needed by package kdepim
> Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3 is needed by package k3b
>

> Apparently k3b and kdepim rely on older versions of libgnokii and libdvdread
> than are provided by the current EPEL, so updates fail unless I disable EPEL,
> or explicitly disable gnokii and libdvdread from the updates.  I can do that,
> but I wonder if there is a cleaner way?  It would be ok with me to just
> remove gnokii, but it is a prerequisite for kdepim.

This probably isn't cleaner, but I find that I have explicitly locked
out the newest versions of gnokii and libdvdread on EPEL, which still
has an earlier gnokii, and I have libdvdread from ATrpms.  I use k3b -
although a recent change of hardware has given problems with dma.  I
don't use kdepim but have it installed.

John P