Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 21:39:31 UTC 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 21:26:31 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Linus has the strange idea that the desktop he chooses actually matters.
> > It
> > doesn't.  He made his own choice, and for his own reasons.  Frankly, I
> > don't care.
>
> I do.
> I usually agree with Anne, but in this case
> I hope Linus changing to Gnome will teach Fedora/KDE a lesson.
> It did make me think of trying Gnome,
> but I'm probably too lazy and set in my ways for that.
>
> I still find the KDE-3/4 changeover completely baffling.
> It is as though the KDE-3 team had been lost in an earthquake
> with all their archives,
> and a new team developing KDE-4 had to work
> from their recollection of how KDE-3 functioned.

It's only when you've used 4 for a while that you realise just how many things
in 3.x were only half-functional.  When I first tried 4.0 I thought I'd never
live with it.  Now there are so many things about it that I love and use
constantly that I now find it quite frustrating to work with a 3.x machine.

You can't get away from the fact that it is very different, and there is a
learning curve, but I'm convinced that it is will worth it.