Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jan 25 22:07:54 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> I still find the KDE-3/4 changeover completely baffling.
>> It is as though the KDE-3 team had been lost in an earthquake
>> with all their archives,
>> and a new team developing KDE-4 had to work
>> from their recollection of how KDE-3 functioned.
>>
> It's only when you've used 4 for a while that you realise just how many
> things
> in 3.x were only half-functional.  When I first tried 4.0 I thought I'd
> never
> live with it.  Now there are so many things about it that I love and use
> constantly that I now find it quite frustrating to work with a 3.x
> machine.
>
> You can't get away from the fact that it is very different, and there is a
> learning curve, but I'm convinced that it is will worth it.

I'm not criticizing KDE-4, which I find perfectly usable.
It is just that many of the changes from KDE-3 to KDE-4 struck me
as completely pointless;
the new was neither better nor worse than the old, just different.
I feel I had to waste a lot of time to no advantage,
which I suspect is how Linus Torvalds felt.

In fact, most of the time I'm using applications - kmail, knode, Firefox -
and I just want to get to them as simply and quickly as possible.
I realize this is sacrilege, but I actually think
Windows XP is much better organized from this point of view.
except for the multiple desktop idea, which I find great.