Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jan 26 04:15:43 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Applications installed in Fedora/KDE may or may not
>> appear in the F-menu, and if they do appear there
>> I find it impossible to predict where they will appear,
>> eg does anyone understand the difference between Administration,
>> System and Settings?
>
> But the menu organization was already like that in KDE 3! So how is this a
> KDE 4 regression?

I wasn't comparing KDE-3 with KDE-4 when I made the above remark.
I was comparing Fedora/KDE with Windows XP.

My (different) point about KDE-4 was that as far as I am concerned
it is neither better nor worse than KDE-3, just different.
I don't see the huge advantages it is supposed to have,
and I haven't suffered from the terrible disasters others seem to have met.

This is probably because I don't do anything very clever,
with 95% of my time spent in kmail, knode and Firefox.

But the net effect was that for me, KDE-4 just meant
a number of small but slightly annoying changes,
which from my limited perspective seemed pointless.