what is stable?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:55:45 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 20:05:16 Anne Wilson wrote:
> [...]
Someone has to kick off :-)

In my eyes, an application is stable if it doesn't crash or do other
unexpected things.

A distribution is stable if it has only packages that have been tried and
tested over a very long period, which inevitably means that it will not have
the latest and greatest, and intends making only the minimum of changes to
stay secure.