Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Mark Bidewell mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu
Wed Jan 28 14:39:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 20:05:16 Anne Wilson wrote:

I'm reproducing the above quote from another thread because it is a
very good definition  Using it I think we could accurately define
Fedora as a distribution which seek to ship the latest stable software
as quickly as possible.  That is the reason I use it.  There are many
stable distros out there:  Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, debian, CentOS, etc,
however I don't know of another distro that fills Fedora's niche (I
have seen cases where Fedora repos were more up-to-date than Gentoo
ebuilds).  I am not trying to say "If you don't like it choose another
distro", but that fedora fills a unique niche.

KDE 4 (the update which spawned this discussion) presented a unique
challenge and I believe that the KDE devs followed the direction
dictated by fedora's purpose.  Was KDE 4.x a little rough?
Absolutely.  I briefly switched to GNOME, but switched back as KDE
updates improved the experience.  Was the decision to ship it correct?
It was consistent with fedora's charter (To those who say that
openSUSE ships both I would say that OpenSUSE has always been KDE
centric and hence has greater resources that Fedora which has been
historically GNOME-centric).

Mark Bidewell