F10 kde logout problems

Peter Reed mrdeadworry at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:57:48 UTC 2009

Hello all,
I have  problem logging out of my kde session with one user.  I have added
another user and that user can log out without a problem.  The original user
cannot log out, reboot or shut down the computer with the kde log out dialog,
of course I can reboot and shutdown from the console.  The newly created user
can do all of the above without incident.
I use kdm display manager and I am up to date in all software packages.  In
fact this problem surfaced after the latest round of updates.
The user in question can log out, reboot, and shutdown from a gnome session so
seems to be kde related.
Any ideas where I should start to look into this problem?
Peter Reed