F-11->F-12 while using kde-testing?

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 13 16:23:53 UTC 2009

Dear list,

I have tried to upgrade my F-11 laptop to F-12, using preupgrade (using
upgrade to Rawhide). All went well, but Qt and kde packages were not upgraded.
The F-11 installed versions came from kde-testing.

The result is that, for example, libssl.so.8 was upgraded to libssl.so.10, and
deps of libQtNetwork were broken. My upgraded laptop was able to box to F-12,
but the KDE session could not be launched.

I have manage to launch "yum update", and updates from kde-testing are now
been downloaded, and it should fix all those problems.

I am surprised that preupgrade allows the upgrade whereas it was foreseeable
that the upgraded set of packages will have broken deps. I am also surprised
that preupgrade do not use the configured repos in /etc/yum.repo.d/, which
mostly are usable both within F-11 and F-12.

What is the recommended way to upgrade from F-11 to F-12 if kde-testing (or
even kde-unstable) is in use? I have another (less experimental) machine that
I would like to upgrade.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau