Small user survey: More modularized KDE packages?

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:24:09 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 10:48 AM, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In last weeks KDE-SIG meeting I proposed a split of the existing KDE packages
> into smaller subpackages. My main motivation for doing this proposal was the
> ability to only install the packages/applications that are really wanted. My
> small-sized netbook SSD and the KDE live images were targets for this.
>
> With this mail I want to ask you as users of Fedora-KDE what you think about
> this proposal. Because if you don't want a more modularized KDE in Fedora
> (whch would also introduce some more complexity) there is no need to do this.

Hi,

I have a Desktop machine, a Netbook (with hard disk)  and one Virtual
machine all running Fedora 11 my install process is:

- make a custom install in the netbook,
- review all group packages and select and deselect based in the
following criteria
   - leave all kde options selected , and select some more which I need
   - review the command line and graphical packages and deselect the
ones which I don't need or and select some which I wll need

reinstall the netbook via the kickstart created in the above procedure,
tuning ( addind or substracting packages names) the kickstart file and
reinstall again until the list of packages in the kickstart is created
with the only ones which I selected to install

and after that reinstall the desktop and the VM from it. ok I change the
hostname and the size partitions but the list of packages is 98% equal
for the three machines.

So based in the above i prefer to install kde apps, and others which

if the packages are splitted, maybe some apps will not selected to
install by default, so I in that situation I will select each one
manually so in my use case will be more complex.

btw my /usr partitions are filled to 4.2G from a size of 12G but I don't
have space constrains in my machines

or maybe "meta packages" ( I don't if that is the correct name) will be
created when the packages will be splitted,  because when I tried to
install koffice 2 from kde unstable I tried

sudo yum install long list rpm packages of koffice2
 and the process marked some as deprecated,

in the list I saw a koffice-suite rpm package
so I execute a:
sudo yum install koffice-suite
and it took care of install all rpms belonging to koffice2

Gabriel