Master volume temporarily lowered while playing system notifications

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Tue Feb 9 04:02:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

The other night, a 'yum update' updated my FC11 system to KDE 4.3.5.
I've noticed a rather annoying little change:  while a KDE system
notification is being played, the master volume is temporarily lowered.
(If KMix is open I can see the Master Volume slider move down and back up
as the sound plays.)  This means that if I have the volume adjusted to a
comfortable level for music listening that I can barely hear the sound
that alerts me to new mail.

Although I suppose some folks might like to have new mail alerts, etc.,
played a bit quieter while they're playing music, I'm of the opinion that
I'd like alerts to be audible over the music so I can hear and act on the
alert.  Before the upgrade to 4.3.5 I used to be able to hear the
notification sounds quite well.  Is this a bug or feature?  If the latter,
is there any way for me to switch things back to the old behavior?

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Ulrick