Palm pilots on KDE

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 9 10:28:40 UTC 2010

Ryan Rix venit, vidit, dixit 08.02.2010 23:49:
> On Mon 8 February 2010 7:50:18 am Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> is anyone using a working sync solution between PalmOS devices and KDE 4
>> (Kontact)?
>>
>> The more I try with KPilot (F12) the more I become convinced that KPilot
>> stopped working with Akonadi a while ago. (I had this working on F11 or
>> so.)
>>
>> I'd be content with one-way sync pilot -> KDE for datebook and
>> addressbook. Can gnome-pilot share resources with KDE's Kontact? Even
>> translating pilot-xfer's pdbs into vcs/ical/... would be good enough,
>> just getting stuff out of the palm in an open format, ready for
>> consumption by KDE's PIM.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> What exactly are the issues?
> I have kpilot working just fine with Kontact and akonadi. I'd love to see you
> get this working as I'm playing with the idea of taking over maintenance of
> kpilot.

I'm glad to see there's a possible future for Kpilot! Are you on F12
with KDE from fedora-updates, or more recent Fedora/KDE?

> A few other questions... Kontact version, kpilot version, device, would be
> nice :) Also, does the device appear to sync, or does it simply not work
> anymore? I've had issues with udev not naming the devices I have been testing
> with /dev/pilot or even spawning any device file afaict. I've had to user the
> device name "usb:" to sync it.

I can sync the device itself (Palm T3), and I used to be able to sync
the palm calendar to a akonadi resource, but that was last fall (Fedora
11 I think).

Kontact and kpilot are from current F12, that is kdepim-4.3.5-1.fc12.x86_64

nepomukserver (kdebase-runtime-4.3.5-2.fc12.x86_64) is running, and I
start akonadiserver using akonadictl (akonadi-1.2.1-2.fc12.x86_64) from
the command line, then kpilot from the command line.

I recreated the mysqldbs which solved a db issue.

In Kpilot's settings for the calendar, an akonadi error is reported,
more specifically the problem that no resource agents are found.
Consequently, a sync does not sync the calendar data at all. (This used
to work.)

This is a plain F12 KDE install (fresh install with current updates, not
an F11 upgrade), no tinkering with KDE or DG paths or such. I would
think that kdepims pulls in all necessary dependencies for akonadi to
work, and I didn't find any packages which seem to contain resource
agents. Any help would be appreciated, of course.

Michael