Panel transparency in 4.4

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Feb 25 19:58:18 UTC 2010

Actually I just thought of a nice trick I forgot to mention:
As translucency in the panel is only possible with Desktop
Effects enabled, and that is not mandatory, most Plasma
themes provide two versions of the SVG files for various
workspace elements, one for the case in which Desktop Effects
is enabled and one optimized for the case in which it isn't.

This is also true for the default theme, Air. In other words,
there is in fact an opague version of Air's panel SVG file
already on your system.

If you go to Desktop Theme Details as mentioned in the
last mail and aim the Panel Background element at this
file:

/ust/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/opague/widgets/panel-background.svgz

... your Air panel will switch from translucent to opague.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein