KMail is horrifically slow?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:01:41 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 21:59:53 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hello Anne,
>
> On Tuesday 05 January 2010, 12:01, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Since the 4.3.85 updates I've had lots of problems with kontact.  Some
> > are now sorted, but most obtrusive is the fact that every time I send a
> > message I get upwards of half a minute of 99% activity before it goes,
> > and during that time I can't read another message, change folder, or
> > anything.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?  I'm turning off signing for this one, to see
> > whether that makes a difference.
>
> I wouldn't say it's "horrifically slow", but it's slower than before.
>
> With the System Activity viewer open, sorted by CPU usage, I created a new
> blank mail, and after pressing Send, I can see virtuoso_t climbing up the
>  list for a few seconds, consuming 23% of CPU.
>
> In conclusion, I'd blame Nepomuk/Virtuoso.
> If you can test with the System Activity, share the results back.

That seems to agree with my observations.  This morning, I even saw it using
78% CPU, while the popup said that it was waiting for 'something' to happen.
I didn't see any indication what that 'something' might be.

I tried the command recommended by techbase (with kontact closed, of course).

qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver     org.kde.NepomukServer.quit

After which I saw several instances of:

Nepomuk Indexing Agents Have Been Disabled
The Nepomuk service is not available or fully operational and attempts to
rectify this have failed.  Therefore indexing of all data stored in the
Akonadi PIM service has been disabled, which will severely limit the
capabilities of any application using this data.

The following problems were detected:
  * Nepomuk is not running.

Additional help can be found here:  userbase.kde.org/Akonadi

So then, to restart it:

nepomukserver
Nepomuk server already running.

All of which is confusing, to say the least.  By now, though, I'm totally
convinced that this is where the problem lies.  Ksysguard shows Nepomuk CPU
usage shooting up every time I have a KMail freeze.

KDE Community Working Group