Switch User still broken

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:53:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 15:46 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > That said, with recent versions of the DVD, if you select only KDE
> and not
> > GNOME nor XFCE, you get KDM, not GDM.
>
> Not really a solution.
> A. It's a bug. The switch user option should be deactivated if KDM is
> not present - or at least, some kind an error message should be
> displayed instead of silently failing.
> B. People who require the switch user option may also have different
> DE
> preferences. (In my case, my wife uses GNOME and I'm using KDE)

IIRC Gnome also has a "switch user" feature. I presume (without
checking) that both DE's follow some Free Desktop standard for doing
this. If so, they should in theory work with either kdm or gdm, but
maybe I'm delusional about standards in this area.

poc

PS I still haven't solved my original problem.