Scrambled screen, then no Fedora

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Jun 5 16:15:10 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, 5. Juni 2010 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Saturday 05 June 2010 08:15:26 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >CIFS mount - on the occasion when all 3 NFS mounts were listed I
> >was able
> >
> > to  type in the user password.  On the times when less that 3
> > were listed no input was recognised.  Coincidence?  I don't
> > know.
>
> That part clearly is coincidence, since I've just seen all three
> listed and it still wouldn't accept keyboard input.
>
> It seems I have a solution - but I don't quite understand it, so
> perhaps you could explain.  I commented out the fstab cifs line,
> thinking I could add it again later when I've sorted things out.
> There was a long delay in booting, while the nfs mounts were said
> ot have failed.  Then I saw 'Mounting other filesystems' succeed.
> When the desktop is fully loaded, dolphin tells me that all the
> nfs mounts AND the samba mount are working!

I had some similar problems (the long delay on boot). This was caused
by the missing network service but using the networkManager stuff. But
I user a ldap base user configuration and at some stage while the
network is not up other processes tries to fetch user information from
the ldap server.

Back to your problem: what does your fstab look like and what does
"chkconfig --list" gives you at the console? Does

chkconfig network on

change anything (if you use wired ethernet connections)? In which
order are the services started (ls in /etc/init.d/rc5.d)?

Martin