Request for a K3B enhancement... multiple disk data splitting.

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 21:12:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 16:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 19:42 +0000, g wrote:
> > Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > > I'd like to request an enhancement to K3B, that being that it
> > > automagically splits a data set larger than the capacity of 1 disk
> > into
> > > multiple disks.
> >
> > i agree with need.
>
> I disagree. K3B is not a backup program, it's a general-purpose optical
> burner (and ripper). This kind of "feature" may be useful in a small
> number of cases, but IMHO it would be better to have a separate tool to
> do the splitting, which then could be used with other burners or indeed
> with other media. That's the Unix Way :-)

That is the *command line* Unix way.   Not the graphical Unix way.

The disk splitting isn't just for backups.  Let say I want to store my
photos (raw and jpgs) onto DVDs to save space on my hard drive.  I want
them in their native file format, not compressed.  I want the slits to
be logical.  It will take many disks.