Network Management - probably pebcak needs sorting

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:53:44 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010 16:36:25 Martin Kho wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2010 17:17:51 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > service NetworkManager restart
> >
> > service NetworkManager restart
> > Stopping NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
> > Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
> > Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
> > [root at anne-laptop ~]# ifup eth0
> >
> > Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(6296) is already running -
> > exiting.
> >
> > This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
> > on ftp.isc.org.  Features have been added and other changes
> > have been made to the base software release in order to make
> > it work better with this distribution.
> >
> > Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
> >     http://bugzilla.redhat.com
> >
> > exiting.
> >
> >  failed.
> >
> > I think I'm beaten.
> >
> > Just one thought - I have no idea why, but on this laptop eth0 is defined
> > as the wireless interface and eth1 is the cabled one.  I didn't do this -
> > the setup did - but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's relevant.
>
> What have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[0,1]? Do they exist?

Experimenting in system-config-network I changed eth0 to wlan0, but ifup wlan0
gives the same errors.

ifcfg-wlan0
# Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=yes
DNS2=212.23.3.100
TYPE=Wireless
DNS1=192.168.0.1
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
MODE=Managed
RATE=auto
ESSID=
CHANNEL=

(the firmware is installed)

ifcfg-eth1
# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=yes