Network Management - probably pebcak needs sorting

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:15:06 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010 17:53:44 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2010 16:36:25 Martin Kho wrote:

> > > service NetworkManager restart
> > > Stopping NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
> > > Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
> > > Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
> > > [root at anne-laptop ~]# ifup eth0
> > >
> > > Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(6296) is already running
> > > - exiting.
> > >
> > > This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
> > > on ftp.isc.org.  Features have been added and other changes
> > > have been made to the base software release in order to make
> > > it work better with this distribution.
> > >
> > > Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
> > >     http://bugzilla.redhat.com
> > >
> > > exiting.
> > >
> > >  failed.
> > >
> > > I think I'm beaten.
> > >
> > > Just one thought - I have no idea why, but on this laptop eth0 is
> > > defined as the wireless interface and eth1 is the cabled one.  I
> > > didn't do this - the setup did - but I'm beginning to wonder whether
> > > it's relevant.
> >
> > What have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[0,1]? Do they
> > exist?
>
> Experimenting in system-config-network I changed eth0 to wlan0, but ifup
> wlan0 gives the same errors.

Running system-config-network sets up network not NetworkManager. In my config
for eth0 I only have:

"# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
controller
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:18:F3:8A:F3:D6"

The rest is set up by NetworkManager. In
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-<big number>-eth[0,1].lease you'll find the find the
set up info.