address book problems

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 13:34:26 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 12:20:24 Jan Simonson wrote:
> tisdag 23 mars 2010 skrev Anne Wilson:
> > As you well know, KDE is not a commercial company, with paid employees
> > working  9 to 5.  KDE is a community of people who give their best,
> > mostly in their spare time, but sometimes fail to understand what a hash
> > we can all make with tweaking our own systems.  Yes there have been
> > problems, but the developers have been responsive in helping us to
> > identify them and fix them.
>
> Most of us do understand this and we appreciate all the work done by the
> developers, package maintainers and documentation writers. We also like
> KDE, why would we use it if we didn't?
>
> However, the present situation in a core utility, PIM, risks making people
> leave KDE for other systems. After all PIM is not just any program, it's
> where I keep all my personal information!
>
> > I know some people are annoyed, but try to be rational about this.  As
> > long as  some of us can say 'it works for me', we have to accept that
> > the cause of problems may not be in the actual software package.
>
> The last couple of months or so I have silently followed the discussions
> about the implementation of Akonadi on this list and avoided the testing
> repository. This is my production system and I want it to be as stable as
> possible. Last week I upgraded to 4.4.1 from stable. After a lot of work
> and following the advise given by you and others I now _seem_ to have a
> stable "Personal Contacts" address-book where I can add, remove and edit
> contacts. Somehow they also are saved although they don't show up in
> ~/.local/share/contacts/ until later.
>
> If I click on an email-address in AddressBook a "new mail" window in Kmail
> opens with the address in the to-field just as expected. If, on the other
> hand, I open a "new mail" window from Kmail and try to select a contact
> I'm presented a list which reflects the situation before the migration to
> Akonadi. Any changes or new entries are not there! I guess, without
> knowing, that Kmail still reads the old ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
> while Akonadi only updates
> ~/.local/share/contacts/ .
>
> Using Kmail gradually becomes much harder as more and more contacts are
> added or changed. You now have to look up each contact manually in
> AddressBook instead of just typing the name in the to-field. Even worse,
> as you loose track of which addresses have changed you risk using outdated
> addresses!
>
> How can an update be pushed as "stable" from upstream with a regression
> like this?

Indeed, this release was the second worst one after 4.0 release - mostly due
to Aconadi. I like Akonadi ideas, I'm big fan of it but... We should push
upstream to do more work on the release testing (we try to help as much as
possible through packaging beta stuff etc.).

Do you experience this bug - KMail starts in session but before it's ready
Akonadi says, it's stopping itself. KMail exits, has to be started manually
again (same for KAddressBook) etc. Do we have bug report for this? Upstream
bug report? My colleague next to me experience the same problem. If there's no
bug, I'll report one.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>