address book problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:58:40 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 13:34, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > If I click on an email-address in AddressBook a "new mail" window in
> > Kmail opens with the address in the to-field just as expected. If, on the
> > other hand, I open a "new mail" window from Kmail and try to select a
> > contact I'm presented a list which reflects the situation before the
> > migration to Akonadi. Any changes or new entries are not there! I guess,
> > without knowing, that Kmail still reads the old
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf while Akonadi only updates
> > ~/.local/share/contacts/ .
> >
> > Using Kmail gradually becomes much harder as more and more contacts are
> > added or changed. You now have to look up each contact manually in
> > AddressBook instead of just typing the name in the to-field. Even worse,
> > as you loose track of which addresses have changed you risk using
> > outdated addresses!
> >
> > How can an update be pushed as "stable" from upstream with a regression
> > like this?

Yet this is another case of 'it works for me' - so we have to find out _why_
you have a problem, since it cannot possibly be a faulty package.

> Indeed, this release was the second worst one after 4.0 release - mostly
> due to Aconadi. I like Akonadi ideas, I'm big fan of it but... We should
> push upstream to do more work on the release testing (we try to help as
> much as possible through packaging beta stuff etc.).
>
> Do you experience this bug - KMail starts in session but before it's ready
> Akonadi says, it's stopping itself. KMail exits, has to be started manually
> again (same for KAddressBook) etc. Do we have bug report for this? Upstream
> bug report? My colleague next to me experience the same problem. If there's
> no bug, I'll report one.

No, I've never seen that.  4.4.0 had the problem of needing akonadi to be
started manually before kmail could run, but I've never seen any startup
problem at all since the 4.4.1 release.

Again, I can only say that we need to know why mine works and others can't get
it to.