Copy+Paste problem with Klipper

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 16:08:05 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 16:11:59 Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
> I use a 3rd party software as a reference manager for papers / articles
> from http://www.mendeley.com/. As far as I know, the software is written
> in QT. The program lets me to "Copy Latex Citation", which I can then
> paste to an editor, e.g. Kile, as, for example "\cite{author2000}"
>
> The only issue I have is: when I hit "Copy Latex Citation" from that
> program, then open Klipper from taskbar (left click), I can see that the
> correct string is put into klipper and it's at the top of the list.
> However, when I hit mouse middle click on Kile to paste it, what shows up
> is always the previous thing that is in the clipboard, i.e. the second
> thing on Klipper.
>
> To work around this issue, I always have to explicitly select the first
> thing in Klipper clipboard before I can paste. So I have to do:
> 1. hit "Copy Latex citation"
> 2. Open Klipper with left mouse click, see that the item is already there
> on the clipboard as the first item
> 3. Explicitly left-click the first item on Klipper
> 4. Paste on Kile with middle click.
>
> I wonder why 2 & 3 are necessary. This doesn't seem to happen with other
> program. So, is the problem with Mendeley's software, or with Klipper ? If
> it's the former, then why it shows up correctly on Klipper clipboard ?
> Isn't "Paste" (middle click) suppose to put whatever it is on the first
> item on Klipper ?

It's klipper.  I don't know why, but for some time now there have been all
sorts of problems.  Sometimes it's an empty line above the one you just
copied, so nothing pastes.  Sometimes the copy doesn't land on klipper for
several seconds.  Sometimes the newest copy appears in the middle of the list.
In all cases I find it necessary to explicity select the required paste, as
you do.  Someone said it is a configuration problem, and I must set
Synchronize contents of the clipboard and the selection - but it didn't help.

KDE Community Working Group