Dbus upgrade?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Oct 8 13:15:34 UTC 2010

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> Hi Dieter,
>
>> 2. the items hit the most are disabled by default, like
>> a. the krunner nepomuk plugin
>> b. dolphin's nepomuk-related panel/pane (forget what it's called
>> exactly).
>>
>> a/b are the only examples that I'm aware of that we've documented.  If
>> there are others, please do enlighten us, so we can also track those
>> issues as well.
>
> * Bug 232054 - Dolphin often hangs since the KMetaData merge (I
> experience this with dlophin's nepomuk-related panel disabled)

This one seems to be quite a hodge-podge of issues.  *one* of them may be
dbus related.  will watch.

> * Bug 233632 - spontaneous plasma crash in dbus code

reported against kde-4.4.1

> * Bug 208921 - Dolphin Qt-dbus random crashes (Nepom...

This one looks legit, but I *thought* we had default dolphin/nepomuk options
set to avoid or minimize this (ie, tooltips should be disabled by default
too).  Any hints?

Fwiw, I can't remember the last time I experienced any sort of crash using
kde-4.5.x on my f13 box (though in fairness, I use dolphin only
ocassionally).

Now, even though we do our best to side-step the bad cases, this dbus-thing
*is* a legitimate issue.  Consider me convinced it would be worthwhile to
provide some sort of dbus-1.4 builds for feedback and testing.  I'll see
about getting something into -unstable repo for those individuals who want
it.

-- Rex