Modular KDE?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Sep 5 17:59:55 UTC 2010

Rex Dieter wrote:
> The long and short of it was that we concluded that while it would add a
> lot of flexbility, it would also add a lot of complexity that our
> (current) users didn't care for... as well as an added burden to
> packaging.

In addition to what Rex said above, it would also cause massive bloat to
update metadata, hurting even people who don't run KDE at all (at every
single update push, even those which don't touch KDE packages, you still
have to download all the metadata each time it changes), and possibly adding
up to a lot more bandwidth than what you save by not downloading some apps.

All this has been pointed out in previous threads. It would really help if
users would read the f… uh… fine ;-) mailing list archives rather than
asking the same questions again and again!

        Kevin Kofler