Modular KDE?

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Sun Sep 5 23:19:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> In addition to what Rex said above, it would also cause massive bloat to
> update metadata, hurting even people who don't run KDE at all (at every
> single update push, even those which don't touch KDE packages, you still
> have to download all the metadata each time it changes), and possibly adding
> up to a lot more bandwidth than what you save by not downloading some apps.

Interesting thought, I wonder what the consequences would actually be.
Anyway, Rex said that we're moving towards a more modular KDE anyway,
because of the ability to run them on netbooks, etc. Will be
interesting to see if this becomes a problem.

> All this has been pointed out in previous threads. It would really help if
> users would read the f… uh… fine ;-) mailing list archives rather than
> asking the same questions again and again!

As mentioned, I did go through all threads for 2010..

-c