[SOLVED] Nepomuk File Indexing Service Not Running

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:39:12 UTC 2011

On 12/26/2011 10:41 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 26 December 2011 18:27:28 Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 12/25/2011 08:30 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Of course, the question now is....do I really need/want to use these
>> services......
>
> Nepomuk and Strigi are one of the first things I shut down when I install a
> fresh Fedora with KDE. On every login they would start indexing the "desktop"
> or whatever (I have nothing bar two default icons in my Desktop folder), and
> then the virtuoso binary would start eating my CPU time for half-a-minute,
> before finally settling down. And I see absolutely no (obvious) use of all that
> on my machine.
>
> So I shut them down, and never missed them since. :-) Though I am curious to
> know what would be their practical purpose (some reasonable usecase)...

Nepomuk *should* not be a problem - strigi is the indexer, and is where
the resource hog could be expected.  AIUI, Strigi indexes the
directories that you give access to, and Nepomuk allows all
Ankonadi-aware applications to draw on the information in the databases.
 Of course this is not a complete description, but until someone comes
up with a better one....

Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or
Http://forum.kde.org