[SOLVED] Nepomuk File Indexing Service Not Running

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 18:06:56 UTC 2011

On Monday 26 December 2011 17:39:12 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 12/26/2011 10:41 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Nepomuk and Strigi are one of the first things I shut down when I
> > install a fresh Fedora with KDE. On every login they would start
> > indexing the "desktop" or whatever (I have nothing bar two default
> > icons in my Desktop folder), and then the virtuoso binary would start
> > eating my CPU time for half-a-minute, before finally settling down. And
> > I see absolutely no (obvious) use of all that on my machine.
>
> Nepomuk *should* not be a problem - strigi is the indexer, and is where
> the resource hog could be expected.  AIUI, Strigi indexes the
> directories that you give access to, and Nepomuk allows all
> Ankonadi-aware applications to draw on the information in the databases.
>  Of course this is not a complete description, but until someone comes
> up with a better one....

Right, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. If strigi is shut down,
there is nothing in the database, so what would be the purpose of nepomuk to
keep running in that case?

Also, is strigi indexing the contents of files, or just filenames? Can nepomuk
be configured to use the mlocate database instead (or in addition to strigi)?
If strigi indexes the file contents, what types of files can it read through?
Can it index anything other than ASCII files, like libreoffice, pdf, djvu, tags
in mp3, metadata in various audio/video files? Can it be used in conjunction
with some OCR software to index scanned handwriting in jpeg files? Is it
multilingual, ie. does it index stuff written in Cyrillic/Chinese/Hebrew/etc?

Next, which apps are "akonadi-aware"? How could they use the data indexed by
strigi, and to what purpose?

I'd really like to see a real-world example of all this being useful.
Otherwise it appears like a solution looking for a problem.

I can use locate to search through file names, and grep to search through file
contents (even through binary files :-) ). So I expect that
strigi/nepomuk/akonadi-aware app should be able to do more than that, right?

P.S. I am not trying to beat down nepomuk&strigi or something, rather I am
genuinely curious about the whole concept... :-) A link to some website with
the explanation of the idea behind all this would be very welcome...

Best, :-)
Marko