KDE Spin or Full Distro ?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:44:55 UTC 2011

On 01/18/2011 08:35 AM, Armelius Cameron wrote:

> Please forgive my ignorant, but I've always wondered about this. What's the
> primary difference between using Fedora KDE Spin v.s. the full distro ? I don't
> mean to try it on live media, I want to install on hard drive. In the past, I
> think I have just got the full DVD distro and pick KDE as desktop environment

First off, a clarification of terms, by "Full Distro" you mean using DVD
installer?  If so,

Several differences and pros/cons to each.  Off the top of my head:

kde spin:
(pro) is a live image, useful for quick-testing
(pro) fast, but simple, installer
(con) can't choose to add/remove components at install-time

DVD installer:
(pro) includes full gnome and kde desktops
(con) a much bigger download
(pro) installer has more features:  more formatting options, can make
software selections

-- Rex