rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jan 31 11:39:55 UTC 2011

Am 31.01.2011 12:00, schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Sunday 30 January 2011 19:53:12 Richard wrote:
>> that sounds like you have tried to rsync one of the very special files in
>> your homedir, /proc /sys or similar. Perhaps you hit some of the sockets
>> or named pipes and block something.
>>
> Could be something like that, since it seems to stop at the same point every
> time.
>
>> Find out the pid of the hanging rsync, do "ll /proc/$pid/fd" maybe it says
>> you what  the culprit is.
>
> Would you like to explain that please?  I don't understand it.  This is what
> happened -
>
> ll /proc/$22374/fd
> ls: cannot access /proc/2374/fd: No such file or directory
>
> I did notice that the pid is very high, and it's obviously not recognisable
> for the command.  Something seems to be wrong.
>
>> Or run rsync verbose to see the last files that were accessed.
>
> I know where it stops every time, in that it's a not very big .jpg that's the
> last file to be listed, but I suspect that, like bootup messages, I see the
> last one to complete.  I still need to know what it's trying to do next.

Ane, cann you run "lsof | grep pid-of-rsync" if it hangs (where
pid-of-rsync is the pid of a rsync process of course)? This command will
give you all files rsync tries to attach (at the time you run lsof). If
there are more rsync processes, try grep -E "(pid1|pid2|pid3)" instead
of the simple grep.

Martin