Incredible Shrinking Fonts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 02:49:12 UTC 2011

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Liberation was designed to be metrically compatible with M$ fonts,
not to
> be a default font family for the GNU/Linux desktop.

I see.

I was a longtime holdout and refused to use Liberation until about 3
weeks ago, when I learned of the link in /etc/fonts/conf.d that could
cure the horrible, spindly font problem. At that time, for the first
time in all of these years, I decided to not use DejaVu and switched
to Liberation. Although my initial complaint was that Liberation fonts
are more compressed, while DejaVu is more expanded, making it more
legible, I now *do* like Liberation.

Do you know which, DejaVu or Liberation, has the fullest UTF-8
coverage?