Freshclam problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:45:13 UTC 2011

On Monday 21 November 2011 20:33:33 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Am 21.11.2011 21:16, schrieb Anne Wilson:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Not entirely. Check ACL (getfacl or similar program). The + sign
> >> indicates that there is an aditional ACL set for this file. At least my
> >> log files does not have extra ACLs set.
> >
> > If this means what I think it means, it explains the problem -
> >
> > getfacl /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
> > getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> > # file: var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
> > # owner: clamav
> > # group: clamav
> > user::rw-
> > user:anne:rwx                   #effective:r--
> > group::rw-                      #effective:r--
> > mask::r--
> > other::r--
>
> As the mask is set to read-only all extra users and groups are set to
> read only as well. The owner should be able to write to the file.

And the owner, in this case is?  I read that as anne being the user, but I'm
confused abouth it giving perms as rwx, effective as r-only.  Can you explain
please?

> >> Try to remove the file as well (or move it to another place).
> >
> > If it's running as anne, is there any reason why the logfile can't be in
> > anne's tree?
>
> Sorry I don't know what you mean by this. Which tree?

I meant somewhere under /home/anne/, to guarantee write permission.  In fact I
tried that. creating the logfile path to /home/anne/Temp/freshclam.log, then
tried again.  This time the message is somewhat different:

[anne at borg2 ~]$ freshclam
ERROR: Can't create temporary directory
/var/lib/clamav/clamav-7b05adbd855d6cdcfe5c431a30c484ab
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 500 or GID 100

I have made sure that I'm in the groups clam, clam-update and clamav, but I
don't see what else I can do to get access to that directory (500=anne,
100=users).

> >> and run 'lsof | grep freshclam' to see if any other program is locking
> >> the file.
> >
> > Nothing there.
>
> So it is only a permission problem. clean all ACLs from the log file and
> all should be OK (setfacl -b).

Unfortunately it wasn't enough.  Does this new message give you more ideas?