Kmail2 quite usable.

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Nov 30 05:48:28 UTC 2011

Am 29.11.2011 23:39, schrieb Roy Dragseth:
> I've been following the threads about the problems with Kmail2 and was kinda
> worried before upgrading to F16.  And right enough, I had two days of post-
> traumatic flashbacks to the KDE3-KDE4 transition, but after som trial and error
> I've found it rather good.  Some quirks, sure, but in my experience they are
> more related to akonadi and kwallet than Kmail itself:
>
> o akonadi doesn't like suspend/resumes on my laptop.  I need to restart it
> every time.  After a akonadi restart kmail can read mail again, if you don't
> restart kmail will hang and show the "Fetching folder...." screen forever.

I don't use suspend/resume on my desktop machine (this is a no-go for
NFS driven clients), so no clue here.

> o sometimes the kwalletd will bomb out (claiming to be open, but contain no
> user/passwd info) and thus kmail will hang on fetching mail.  A Disable
> kwallet - Apply - Enable kwallet - Apply cycle in  System Settings will bring
> things back into order again.

I use kerberos to authenticate so no wallet in the way.

> o often the Next/Prev Message in the Go menu are grayed out and you cannot
> jump to the next message with the keyboard.  Selecting another message or
> folder with the mouse brings things back in order again.

I never saw this. But my kmail2 experience is limited to three days.

> Trying to convert the Kmail1 mail caches was a no-go, I deleted all local
> caches and setup everything fresh.  I'm using imap exclusively and do all
> filtering with procmail on the server side so it didn't matter, this might not
> be an option for people using local mail folders...

Same for me. I tried kmail2 somewhere in March this year and did run the
migration with many lost mails. My tip: If you can make a clean new
start with kmail2, esp. with IMAP and server side filtering.

Only "Problem" I have: My global search in kmail2 is not working as
expected. I have about hundred mails with a specific sender but
searching for the sender brings only one mail.

> So, all in all, kmail2 was better than feared for my use.

Definitely. There are some things to learn (fine tuning nepomuk and
akonadi) but nothing bad.

Martin