kaddressbook in F16

Jan Simonson nytt at simonson.se
Mon Oct 31 15:51:16 UTC 2011

måndag 31 oktober 2011 skrev Timothy Murphy:
> Jan Simonson wrote:
> > Ever since F16 Alfa became available I have been trying it out on a
> > virtual machine. I have focused on kdepim with special attention to
> > kmail/kaddressbook as I'm hoping to resolve my longstanding problems with
> > using them for several maillists with many hundred addresses that I'm
> > administering.
>
> How do you use kaddressbook with maillists, please?

Each maillist has a separate sub-addressbook with the relevant addresses (not
really necessary, but makes it easier to handle). Then I add all the members
into a new group with a suitable name. After that I just select the group in the
"to:" or "hidden copy:" field in kmail. The "hidden copy:" in case of large
groups with members who don't know each other.

When there is a change (and there are a lot of them when you have many hundred
addresses!) I just have to change the contact. If there is someone new or
leaving the list I have to add or remove him/her from the group as well, but
that is quickly done.

I've exported my contacts from my main machine and subsequently imported them
into the virtual machine group by group. That was easy and quick. In fact I
intend to export _all_ my contacts and save them before upgrading from F14 to
F16. After the upgrade I just import them again. Doing so I will avoid all the
problems with migration I've read about on this list. In fact I also consider
doing the same with the rest of ~/.kde to start again with a clean set-up!

BTW, a feature that would be really nice: "Select all the contacts you wish and
then press 'New group' and all are entered into the group automatically."
That would save a lot of work entering them manually!

Regards
Jan
--
Jan Simonson