kde and rename-dialog

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Fri Sep 2 11:38:22 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald ha scritto:
> can we please have back the popup-window for file-rename
> for a bundle of reasons
>
> * large screen -> but you do not see the entire filename inline
> * in the past you moved the popup away and saw the old name
>
> now you see only a small part of the filename, see never the whole
> name and can not compare to the old one, this deagrades usability
> another time for the reason it is beautiful at the first look
>
> this was one of the many things because i loved KDE compared to
> windows and what happens now - doing all the same :-(

A Microsoft Certified Engineer, with a lot of experience, once told me

"The right answer to any question in a Windows dialog is always NO,
because the default they propose is always the worst possible choice."

I see a dangerous inclination of KDE following the Windows way.
PLEASE DO NOT.

Take Windows as an example of what should NOT be done. If Windows does
it one way, then be certain that it is the wrong way.

Windows makes it pleasant to look at, but hardly usable, trying to "make
it easy" it hides everything, making everything obscure for an
inexperienced user, and very hard to handle to an experienced user.

If Windows uses file extension to control Desktop behavior, then the
right choice is NOT to use them and use magic numbers instead.
If Windows puts on Desktop objects which do not have a counterpart in
the Desktop folder, then it's the wrong way to go, etc.

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)