KMail and spam filtering in KDE47

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Fri Sep 2 13:16:58 UTC 2011

Have had multiple issues with my mail since the move to 47 but
most have been resolved. The conversion of my mail database was
the thorniest and I ended up having to manually move the old mail
into the new Kmail Folder structure - half the mail got migrated,
and the rest remained in the old Local Folders structure. Also,
two of the folders never worked correctly, and trying to access
messages in them just produced an endless spinning hourglass - I
had to end up by deleting those two folders and then re-create
them. All the rest of my mail in the old Local Folders had to
moved manually, one folder at a time, to the new Kmail Folders
structure. Accessing mail in each folder began as a very tedious
process with long periods of spinning hourglasses and no mail
being displayed, then, the messages would eventually appear...
Now, that seems to have largely cleared up, though moving from
folder to folder has become much more sluggish than it was
previously - I can live with that for now - hopefully, this
performance will continue to improve.

BUT, one pain-in-the-neck issue remains - whenever new mail is
downloaded, the spam filter doesn't work - messages that are
clearly marked as spam by Spambayes are left in the inbox instead
of being moved to my Probable Spam folder - then, it gets real
strange; if I close KMail and then reopen it, all those new
messages in the inbox are acted upon and the relevant spam marked
messages get moved into the right Probable spam folder... It's
very strange - right now, I come to my computer in the morning and
find 100 or so new messages in the inbox and I'm left with the
choice of closing KMail and reopening it to get the spam filter to
act on those new messages, most of which go to the spam folder,
or, of highlighting all those new messages and pressing Ctl-j
which is the manual way of running the junk filter on those
messages - both methods work, but are rather tedious -I have no
idea where I would file a bug on this - searching Bugzilla, I
didn't get any useful hits on "KMail Spambayes" or "KMail
spam"....

Ideas?
--
Claude Jones