Updating Amarok's database

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Apr 26 12:39:39 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 14:31 +1000, Jim Dean wrote:
>> There are a number of amarok* files under .kde/share/config/, not sure
>> if renaming them will fix your issues but worth a try.
>
> [Please check the list Guidelines regarding top-posting]
>
> I tried that, in fact I again moved everything Amarok-related to one
> side, logged out and in again, and fired up the app. It asked me where
> my music collection was, rescanned it, and *still* doesn't find the new
> material I added the other day. Which BTW is simply a CD ripped to MP3,
> as are many of my other files which do work.

One handy related tool in amarok is the commandline
amarokcollectionscanner (see end for usage)

You could try running:

amarokcollectionscanner /path/to/dir/with/ripped_cd/

and see what happens.  this tool should be fairly verbose in it's
findings and listing any possible errors or problems it encounters.

-- rex

$ amarokcollectionscanner --help
Amarok Collection Scanner
Scans directories and outputs a xml file with the results.
For more information see http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Batch_Mode

Usage: amarokcollectionscanner [options] <Folder(s)>
User-modifiable Options:
<Folder(s)>             : list of folders to scan
-h, --help              : This help text
-v, --version           : Print the version of this tool
-r, --recursive         : Scan folders recursively
-i, --incremental       : Incremental scan (modified folders only)
-s, --restart           : After a crash, restart the scanner in its last
position
     --idlepriority      : Run at idle priority
     --sharedmemory <key> : A shared memory segment to be used for
restarting a scan
     --newer <path>      : Only scan directories if modification time is
new than <path>
                           Only useful in incremental scan mode
     --batch <path>      : Add the directories from the batch xml file
                           batch file format should look like this:
    <scanner>
     <directory>
      <path>/absolute/path/of/directory</path>
      <mtime>1234</mtime>   (this is optional)
     </directory>
    </scanner>
                           You can also use a previous scan result for that.