Middle mouse button functionality

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Sat Aug 11 16:33:49 UTC 2012

I am mostly a programmer, so having the middle button on the mouse paste from the clipboard is a pain and sometime disastrous.

How can I turn that functionality off and make it stay off?

I can turn it off using xinput to turn off the middle button, but all methods I've tired to make it stick, including writing a script to be called upon KDE start up, either don't work, or work sporatically and I find out when code would compile or run because some (seemingly) random string or characters got pasted into the code.

There is nothing in system-settings - input-devices - mouse.  Yet there MUST be a way to define mouse actions so that pressing the middle mouse button does not paste in to my workspace.

Can someone pleas shed some light on how to modify middle mouse button functionality?

Emmett