Request for review - new desktop groups

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Aug 18 10:36:46 UTC 2012

Thanks for the list, some of that stuff should indeed be in the base KDE
Plasma Desktop group (but not all!):

Fl at sh wrote:
> # KDE base (or minimal)
> kdm

Yes.

> ## this packages for choice the dependence with less package size
> sane-backends-libs

No, that's not minimal at all.

What drags this in as a dependency? And what's the larger dependency that
gets dragged in otherwise? (I don't see what other dependency sane-backends-
libs could replace, sounds like a packaging bug.)

> phonon-backend-gstreamer

Should be dragged in by dependencies already, but I guess it helps to list
this explicitly for the folks who enable RPM Fusion during installation, who
might otherwise end up with phonon-backend-vlc instead, which I don't think
should be the default.

> ##
> kde-workspace

Yes, of course.

> konsole

Maybe, not sure. Though currently kde-workspace drags it in anyway so that
"right-click, Konsole" always works.

> k3b

No. That really needs to be optional.

> apper
> bluedevil

Yes, those are needed for workspace-system integration.

> plasma-scriptengine-python

No. Purely optional and should be automatically installed through Plasma
PackageKit integration when needed (if not, file a bug).

> system-config-firewall
> system-config-firewall-base

No. Those are admin tools, not KDE-related at all.

> kde-plasma-networkmanagement

Yes, system integration, same as for Apper and BlueDevil.

> kde-partitionmanager

No, should be in a kde-admin-tools subgroup/option.

> kwrite

Maybe. Like Konsole, this one can be argued to be part of the workspace.

        Kevin Kofler