Request for review - new desktop groups

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 13:41:06 UTC 2012

On 08/18/2012 10:29 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

>> About system-config-firewall, system-config-firewall-base,
>> k3b, kde-partitionmanager packages -- Sorry, maybe I confused
>> the idea of ​​installing the system on groups with the idea
>> of ​​installing the necessary (usually) a minimum packages.
> So I disagree about k3b and kde-partitionmanager being part of the necessary
> minimum. K3b is useless on a machine with no CD/DVD burner (e.g. a netbook
> or a tablet). kde-partitionmanager is entirely useless for most users. That
> kind of packages belongs into "options" (subgroups). It may or may not make
> sense to enable those options by default.

I have to disagree on K3B. Writing a CD/DVD is a basic function and
should be supported out of the box. It was a welcome addition when users
could burn CDs on Windows without requiring any additional software.
We're not aiming to include only those packages that are applicable on
all possible hardware platforms, are we? In that case, things like
bluetooth support should be left out since most desktops don't have
them. I mean, why the unfair advantage for netbooks?

regards,

Syam