Request for review - new desktop groups

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Aug 18 16:59:49 UTC 2012

Fl at sh wrote:
> Sorry,
> sane-backends-libs phonon-backend-gstreamer packages
> not for pure Fedora (I`m do it for remix with rpmfusion
> repo, which added some dependencies).

I still don't see how sane-backends-libs would be useful to list there even
with RPM Fusion enabled.

> About konsole, kwrite, plasma-scriptengine-python packages --
> Yes, reinsure myself.

And again, -1 to plasma-scriptengine-python, it has absolutely no business
being in the minimal KDE workspace install set.

I could accept putting it in an optional "KDE Plasma Workspace Addons"
subgroup along with kdeplasma-addons, but IMHO a script engine should not be
listed in comps at all. It should be a dependency of whatever package
requires it. If you install a plasmoid through "Add new widget…" (GHNS),
starting from Fedora 17, you now get automatically prompted to install the
script engine if it isn't installed yet. See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Plasma_PackageKit_Integration
So there is no need whatsoever to install the script engine by default.

> About system-config-firewall, system-config-firewall-base,
> k3b, kde-partitionmanager packages -- Sorry, maybe I confused
> the idea of ​​installing the system on groups with the idea
> of ​​installing the necessary (usually) a minimum packages.

So I disagree about k3b and kde-partitionmanager being part of the necessary
minimum. K3b is useless on a machine with no CD/DVD burner (e.g. a netbook
or a tablet). kde-partitionmanager is entirely useless for most users. That
kind of packages belongs into "options" (subgroups). It may or may not make
sense to enable those options by default.

As for system-config-firewall, that's not a KDE package at all and so IMHO
entirely off topic here.

> Nevertheless, it would be good if there exists a @kde-base
> (or -minimal, or -<same_name>) Group, because it gives more
> flexibility when installing and using KDE in Fedora.

See the original post in this thread for how Anaconda will present groups in
Fedora 18!

        Kevin Kofler