apps in menu configured to start as root no longer do [solved]

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Fri Dec 21 18:22:51 UTC 2012

On 12/21/2012 09:31 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> Apps such as Krusader-root-mode and Ksystemlog  which are configured
> to run as root will no longer start. I'm running F18 TC1 but I decided
> to ask here first as I've seen this behavior before with KDE menu
> items, but can't remember the fix. Normal behavior is to get an
> authorization dialog and after entering the root password, the apps
> would start. This was working yesterday. Now, I just get the spinning
> wheel in the task bar for a few moments and then nothing. I've looked
> at logs but I can't find any evidence of why this is failing. If I run
> the same commands from the command prompt as root, they open just fine.

I'd initially ticked the box on installation, making my self an
administrator. I didn't like the way that turned out, because it wasn't
uniform with regards to which apps would require my own password, or
root's. So, I removed myself from the wheel group. I believe it was
after that that things stopped working. There have also been numerous
updates since the problem started sometime yesterday - so, maybe that
was a cause. I tried a full reboot, and now, things appear to be working.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA