Does Fedora want to expel KDE from its offerings?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Dec 13 00:14:32 UTC 2014

Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Personally I would prefer:
>
> "product=Fedora"

+1

> Labeling the installation media, Desktop, Server, etc. Just confuse a noob
> into thinking that they install one thing and they would be limited like
> they would be if they installed a Microsoft product  (ie: Server, Home
> Editon, Professional Edition, Ultimate Edition.)

That's indeed a legitimate concern.

I'm more unhappy about what the effect is on all those Spins that did not
get the privilege of being a "product" (or "flavor" or whatever the term of
the day is now). We are now being degraded to second-class citizens, when
there's NO technical difference between a Spin and a Product, it's a purely
artificial distinction.

Sure, Products now have per-Product configuration, but there's nothing
technically preventing us from having per-Spin configuration as well, and we
have been told per-Spin configuration for KDE would probably be accepted if
we ask for it. It's a pure policy decision (and IMHO, a bad one, the per-
Product configurations are causing more problems than they solve) that is
not technically dependent on the Spin/Product distinction.

But your concern is also an important point. These "products" are
fragmenting Fedora for no good reason, and actually confusing users.

> It's one of the things that I can't stand about Windows and love about
> Linux. With Windows the build denotes limitations of one kind of another.
> With Linux, I get a distro and I can build from it what I want. I want a
> desktop, I get a desktop.... What desktop... my choice.. Gnome, Kde, etc.
> I choose KDE :). I want a server, I install servers. Want both, go ahead.
> You are installing Linux you can do what you want. The "product" is
> Fedora's Distribution of Linux.

+1

> I know that nobody will agree... But thats OK... Thats just my 2 cents
> worth.

Not true, I do agree with you. :-)

        Kevin Kofler
        who wants Fedora Previous back!