Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Mar 17 13:24:38 UTC 2014

On 03/17/14 21:02, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I'm using Dolphin to copy large files (several GB) to an NFS-mounted
> NAS. This works fine except that the informational system tray pop-up is
> showing absurd values for the copy bandwidth. e.g. a 2GB file is
> declared to be finished when it's only just started. It looks like
> what's being measured is the rate of handoff to network buffers. This
> machine has a quad-core i7 CPU with 16GB of RAM and isn't doing much
> else, so the entire file could be copied to system buffers very quickly.
> However the actual LAN is 100Mbps so the real copy takes several
> minutes, and it's only then that I get the pop-up saying it's finished.
>
> Is this what's going on? Note that the copy does work correctly.
>
> KDE 4.11.7 on F20.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "bandwidth indicator"?

I just dragged a 4GB file in Dolphin to my NFS Mounted NAS.  A little circle popped into the systray area and clicking on it brings up a "Copying" box with information about how much has been copied and what the current transfer rate is.  This goes along for a few minutes and then finally a popup comes from dolphin indicating the transfer is complete.

Similar set up.  Quad i5 CPU doing nothing much with 8GB of ram.  Same F20/KDE.  I am running a newer version of the kde-plasma-nm stuff ....

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts