Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 28 15:21:24 UTC 2014

On 03/28/14 05:45, Richard Z wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 01:16:11AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Markus Slopianka wrote:
>
>> That said, you have a good point there, in particular one against
>> Firefox: Firefox does not support KWallet! Another very strong
>> reason not to default to it. Folks, you can argue all you want that
>> users "don't notice" missing system integration, but for KWallet,
>> users WILL notice.
>
> good or bad? I will never store anything but throwaway passwords in
> the Firefox wallet. I won't use a browser which integrates with the
> "system" wallet and neither a browser without NoScript, AdBlocker and
> some of the cookie extensions.

+1

after following this thread for a while and reading the 'battle' of
the good and bad of firefox as a browser, i feel that it is time to
jump in to the mess and voice my feelings.

first off, this thread reminds me of a song that came out at the
turn of the 70's. "War". it had a kick-ass beat, it is a protest
song, but i still like it. so did every one in a disco club where
i was manager and head bartender.

in war, there is the line, "War. what is it good for?".

in a similar context, "Firefox. what is it good for?".

well firefox is great for web browsing and has a great 'library'
for handling bookmarks. way better than what is available in
'konqueror' in web browser mode.

there is very little that the konqueror can be set up for and
the display frame for bookmarks sucks. also, try to set up a
bookmarks tree, or duplicate bookmarks in different branch
headings. not very easy to do.

i could go on and on about the advantages of firefox bookmarks,
but to do so is really not necessary. also, it is a feature that
is best appreciated by playing with it.

firefox is 'rfc compliant' and 'html5' compatible. i do not know
about konqueror.

need something different for firefox or add capabilities to how
it functions, well just check the vast 'add-ons' that are
available. does konqueror have any such?

i would hate to think that i had to go out on web and not have
'NoScript' and 'AdBlocker' available. just to mention a couple
of the add-ons that i use.

does konqueror have such?

agreed, i am comparing to konqueror, but i apply same to 'Rekonq'
which i have not tried. i see no need or desire to.

so firefox does not meet the 'standards' of a 'Plasma Product',
it does meet the standards of what is needed for a great web
browser.

konqueror, as a file browser is great. in my opinion, much
better and more versatile than 'Dolphin'.

i will give one credit to konqueror for web use, it works well
for ftp for 'drag and drop'.

in closing, i suggest this, keep firefox as a selectable package.
also, leave rekong as a selectable choice also. do not force it
to be installed as a default.

no one knows the needs of all the end users. the web browser,
as well as the email client, should be left up to the user to
decide what is best for the user.

as linux users, we are not in a dictatorship way of life. it is
a life of choice. leave web browser and email client up to the
choice of the end user.

thank you.

--

peace out.