New default web browser on KDE Spin

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Sat Aug 1 17:21:01 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>
wrote:

> As long as people continue spreading this information, it will continue to
> exist. KDE is not a Desktop Environment, full stop, whatever you like or
> think.

I think the point was that many people just don't care... their eyes simply
glaze over
when you get into the minutiae of it all.  In any event, it's really
amusing if you do
a Google search, the first hit says:

"KDE is a powerful graphical desktop environment for Unix workstations."

Here is a screenshot for your amusement:
https://goo.gl/photos/smu2Zem1So2pD9669
So if you're concerned about misinformation, someone needs to work on that.

> Interesting to notice that one side you don't care about what upstream says
> about Plasma and KDE, and on the other side you want to exactly follow what
> upstream ships in some of the many products. Konqueror is not part of of
> the
> releases of the desktop anyway.

The thread was about changing default applications.  To change a default,
you need
a compelling reason.

> My point is: even upstream does not really want to push for a browser or
> another right now. There is a (maybe just prototype) of new browser
> investigated, but really really an experiment. No one in KDE community will
> complain if the default browser of a "KDE-based distribution" is not
> Konqueror.

I haven't seen anything that implies that Konqueror isn't the designated
browser for KDE;
just the opposite - there is a dearth of information on the web that
implies otherwise.  However,
if upstream wants to clarify that, I would think they would just put out a
notice here:
https://www.kde.org/applications/internet/konqueror/

In any event, I still believe if one has an issue with the performance or
capabilities of a particular
application, the place to discuss that is with upstream.