KDE Plasma Workspace failure

Peter Grainger gmail at plgrainger.plus.com
Tue Oct 27 01:57:13 UTC 2015

For the third time my KDE Plasma Workspace has failed during the
post-installation software update. On the third occasion (but not the
other 2) it managed to display an error dialogue box, though I could not
send a bug report directly since the system hang had disabled the mouse
and keyboard. However, the dialogue box contained some information which
may be of use to you:

"Plasma closed Unexpectedly"

"Executable: plasmashell (deleted) PID: 2204 Signal: Segmentation fault
(11)" [followed by the date and time]

[The software update (comprising 696 items) was about 75% complete
according to the progress bar, and was well into the installation phase.
My system is based on an Intel Core I7-3770K CPU and a UEFI 'BIOS',
running the 64-bit version of F22. It is not dual-booted (I run Windows
most of the time - such as now - but had hoped to run LINUX on separate
disks).]

I would be delighted to run KDE Plasma Workspace, but I can't afford to
waste any more time repeatedly installing it: if you can't produce
software stable enough actually to install successfully, I'm surprised
anyone is able to use it.

I am a LINUX beginner, and have no idea how to chase this error myself.
However, F22 is still installed, and if you point me in the right
direction I might be able to get some more useful data from a system
log, if there is one covering the software update.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Peter Grainger