KDE Plasma Workspace failure

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Fri Oct 30 13:45:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Peter Grainger <gmail at plgrainger.plus.com>
wrote:

> For the third time my KDE Plasma Workspace has failed during the
> post-installation software update. On the third occasion (but not the other
> 2) it managed to display an error dialogue box, though I could not send a
> bug report directly since the system hang had disabled the mouse and
> keyboard. However, the dialogue box contained some information which may be
> of use to you:
>
> "Plasma closed Unexpectedly"
>
> "Executable: plasmashell (deleted) PID: 2204 Signal: Segmentation fault
> (11)" [followed by the date and time]

What updates were you installing at the time?

> [The software update (comprising 696 items) was about 75% complete
> according to the progress bar, and was well into the installation phase. My
> system is based on an Intel Core I7-3770K CPU and a UEFI 'BIOS', running
> the 64-bit version of F22. It is not dual-booted (I run Windows most of the
> time - such as now - but had hoped to run LINUX on separate disks).]
>
> I would be delighted to run KDE Plasma Workspace, but I can't afford to
> waste any more time repeatedly installing it: if you can't produce software
> stable enough actually to install successfully, I'm surprised anyone is
> able to use it.

I usually see this happen if I'm low on free RAM (not swap space, just RAM)
and it doesn't require a re-install, just a restart.  I'm a very heavy
user, and I tend to push my system to its limits, but re-installing every
time I saw this would be silly.

--

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education