[OT] please review new kernel build doc on fedora wiki

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Apr 16 12:29:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:24 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> I (with DaveJ) help maintain the kernel release notes for Fedora. A user suggested a
> while back that we remove the building instructions from the release notes and
> put those in a separate doc devoted to more detailed instructions on building
> the kernel RPM (including applying patches and configuring options).

I'm surprised that you advocate downloading the src.rpm and building
from that. I would recommend checking the kernel package out from CVS
instead. It's easier to see what you've changed ('cvs diff'), and much
easier and quicker to update to later kernels when the Fedora folks ship
an erratum and you want to update your own version to be based on it.

I'd also like to see the document cover building _modules_. For example,
I have this patch to bcm43xx and how do I make a module to test it?
I certainly don't rebuild the whole damn kernel -- I run 'make prep' in
the CVS directory, then apply the patch manually (or hack on the code as
appropriate), and build it with:
  make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx modules

--
dwmw2